Supported by BBC Music Magazine
For the outstanding quality and scope of the performances and work in any context of a conductor in the UK between January 2018 and June 2019.
Panel citation: Mirga brings remarkable commitment to her role at the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, vibrantly delving into what it means to be a Music Director: bringing her own vision yet shaping a respectful, mutually fruitful partnership with the players. She commits herself wholeheartedly to the life of the orchestra, its youth and choral contingents; plunging bravely and energetically into a vast and distinctive repertory; and captivating the city’s imagination beyond the concert hall.
This year's Conductor Award was decided by an independent panel drawn from across the music profession comprising:
- Catherine Arlidge MBE, violinist, CBSO / Artistic and Educational Director, National Children's Orchestra
- Hannah Donat, Artistic Producer, BBC Proms
- Matthew Swann, Chief Executive, City of London Sinfonia
- Natalie Taylor, viola, Chineke! / BBC Symphony Orchestra
- Sarah DerbyshireMBE, Chief Executive, Orchestras Live