For the outstanding quality and scope of the performances and work in any context of a solo performer on any instrument in the UK between January 2018 and June 2019.
Panel citation: A world champion of breath-taking artistry and integrity, entirely authentic, individual and mercurial. It’s great to chart how, in her musical partnerships, she continually strives for fresh depths, particularly with the Chiaroscuro Quartet which she ignites, and with pianist Cedric Tiberghien. She is also a devoted teacher whose students are standing out. In all her performances, she brings the whole room right to the core of the music.
This year's Instrumentalist Award was decided by an independent panel drawn from across the music profession comprising:
- Alasdair Tait, Chief Executive & Artistic Director, YCAT / cellist
- Colin Currie, percussionist
- Helen Wallace, Programme Director, Kings Place
- Jessica Cottis, conductor
- Svend McEwan-Brown, Artistic Director, East Neuk Festival