2019: Large-Scale Composition
Supported by The Boltini Trust
For an outstandingly imaginative and engaging large-scale work receiving its first UK performance between January 2018 and June 2019.
Panel citation: An astonishingly original composer – consistently conjuring music that nobody else is dreaming of. In Yes, a powerful meditation on the ambiguities of language and expression, she transforms perceptions of a ‘large-scale’ composition, atomising the forces, creating a hypnotic and jewel-like intimacy.
- Anna Meredith - Five Telegrams
- George Benjamin - Lessons in Love and Violence
- Per Norgard - Symphony No. 3
This year's Large-Scale Composition Award was decided by an independent panel drawn from across the music profession comprising:
- Cathy Graham, Director of Music, British Council
- Hannah Kendall, composer
- Huw Humphreys, Head of Music, Barbican
- Simon Webb, General Manager, BBC Philharmonic
- Susanna Eastburn MBE, Chief Executive, Sound and Music