RPS Composition Prizes
The RPS gives emerging composers the chance to write a work for a prestigious professional performance.
What does the RPS offer?
Winning composers will each receive a commission of either £3,000 or £1,000, and a professional performance. In 2018 the following prizes will be offered:
- Three composers will be offered the opportunity to join the Philharmonia/RPS Composers Academy led by Unsuk Chin, and take part in a range of seminars and workshops throughout the year, culminating in a £3,000 commission to be performed by members of the orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall.
- One £3,000 chamber commission for the Cheltenham Music Festival, supported by the Susan Bradshaw Composers’ Fund set up in memory of the pianist, teacher and writer.
- One £1,000 solo piece for the Presteigne Festival.
Commissions are subject to change. Other commissions may also be available.
Please note the new entrance requirements:
In order to be eligible to enter the RPS Composition Prize, you must meet one of the following criteria:
1) You are either currently a student at a UK university/conservatoire studying towards a first degree or a master's degree (not a PhD)
2) You have completed a first degree or master's degree (not a PhD) at a UK university/conservatoire since 30 March 2009
You are asked to submit a portfolio of three compositions plus a MP3 recording of at least one of the works, together with proof that you fulfill the above criteria regarding your undergraduate/master's degree at a UK university or conservatoire.
Scores and the list of performances will be given to the jury anonymously. Each score and the list of performances must have your name removed/masked.
There is a £20 application fee (free to RPS Members)
PLEASE READ THE T&CS BELOW BEFORE APPLYING