Rosie Johnson RPS/Wigmore Hall Apprentice Composer
£2,000 commission & mentoring opportunity for an emerging composer aged 18 or over
As part of its commitment to providing professional development opportunities for outstanding musical talent, the Royal Philharmonic Society has joined forces with Wigmore Hall to offer a commission and apprenticeship for an emerging composer.
Last year, we were delighted to appoint 18 year-old Freya Irelandas the inaugural RPS Wigmore Hall Apprentice Composer.
What does it offer?
- £2,000 RPS commission for viola and accordion duo, Diphonon Duo, to be performed at Wigmore Hall on 12 June 2018
- Mentoring with the Wigmore Hall’s Composer in Residence, Helen Grime
- Opportunities to attend rehearsals and performances as part of the Wigmore Hall Contemporary Music Series
- Opportunities to take part in and observe Wigmore Hall Learning workshops and events, working with the Composer in Residence and/or experienced composers/workshop leaders
- An Apprentice Composer residency at Wigmore Hall between January and June 2018.
Who is this opportunity for?
Applicants must be aged 18 or over by the deadline. This opportunity is appropriate for someone wanting to develop a career as a professional composer. Applicants must demonstrate their understanding of the different instruments and their proficiency in notating their scores, although a formal degree or equivalent qualification is not compulsory.
In 2018 this position was renamed the Rosie Johnson RPS/Wigmore Hall Apprentice Composer in honour of the RPS Chief Executive who steps down this year.
The next position will be advertised in late 2018.
Paul Hughes, General Manager, BBC Symphony Orchestra: Since 1979 when I won the RPS composition prize this amazing organisation has been part of my life, placing music at the heart of modern life.
DID YOU KNOW?
In October 1970, Lutoslawski's Cello Concerto received its world premiere, having been commissioned by the RPS. The soloist was Rostropovich, who received our highest honour, the Gold Medal, the same year.