On this page, Jasper introduces themself in their own words, and shares links to their music, their website, and their social media platforms. We warmly invite programmers and commissioners to take a closer look at Jasper's work, and please be in touch with us if you would like to connect with them.
'As a young person, I, like many, wanted to fit in and be part of the cool crowd. But deep down, I always felt different. Embracing this sense of uniqueness and not quite fitting in has, over many years, become a source of pride. Lately, I've been exploring these feelings in my music, finding poetic connections and using them to create emotionally charged works.
Currently, I'm pursuing a PhD at the Royal College of Music, where I explore the poetic link between microtonal segregation in the Western 12-TET system and societal queer segregation through opera. My goal is to articulate the deep emotional state that has accompanied me throughout life.
I love bringing non-classical influences into my work. It's about infusing my music with a wide range of emotions and ideas, rather than just sticking to one style. My journey has been all about experimenting, innovating, and pushing the boundaries of what's possible in my own music.
Through my work with esteemed ensembles like the London Sinfonietta and Riot Ensemble, I've harnessed creative freedom in chamber music, allowing me to explore microtonality in greater depth and further refine my compositional voice during my studies.'
- Jasper was nominated for a 2023 Ivor Novello Award in the Chamber Music Category for “Disco! Disco! Good! Good?
- Jasper graduated from their master's degree with distinction from the Royal Academy of Music, receiving a DipRAM for outstanding work.
- During their time at the Royal Academy of Music, Jasper collaborated with violinist Fenella Humphreys & conductor Aaron Holloway-Nahum on a violin concerto.
- In 2021, Jasper premiered their first opera, "Coram Boy," to a sold-out audience.
- Jasper has been fortunate to work with Sir Andrew Davies and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra on a new work, “Dreams of Isolation”, premiered at Usher Hall, Edinburgh.
- In 2020, Jasper was nominated for an Ivor Novello Award in the Large Orchestral Category for "Night Music," written for the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, becoming the youngest ever nominee.
Find out more
The 2024 RPS Composers programme is made possible with support from RPS Members, Delius Trust, The Fidelio Charitable Trust, PRS Foundation's The Open Fund, the Radcliffe Trust, the Susan Bradshaw Composers' Fund, the Vaughan Williams Foundation and several anonymous donors.