RPS/Classic FM 25th Birthday Commissions Winner
Marco Galvani is a composer based in London, studying with David Sawer. He studied for three years with Emily Howard at the Junior Royal Northern College of Music, and subsequently with Professor Robert Saxton at the University of Oxford. Marco’s choral and instrumental works have been performed throughout the UK, Europe, and North America.
Marco’s compositions have been commissioned, performed, and recorded by a variety of choirs. In 2015, Marco was awarded the Schellhorn Prize for Choral Composition for his piece Ecce Quam Bonum. His music has subsequently been performed by Blossom Street, Icosa Chamber Choir, and the choir of Salisbury Cathedral. Marco’s commission Tantum Ergo was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 from the Edington Festival, and features on ‘Cloths of Heaven’, the debut album of Sansara Chamber Choir. Tantum Ergo has been published by Edition Peters, alongside Ubi Caritas, Memorare, and Eden is that old-fashioned house. Et Vidi Angelum was recorded by The Queen's College Chapel Choir as part of their CD, ‘A New Heaven’.
Exploring a variety of instrumental combinations, Marco has received a number of commissions for ensembles and orchestras. His work for the Oxford University String Ensemble, After the Rain, was performed in Christ Church Cathedral in 2015, and subsequent instrumental works include Unearthed, commissioned by Oxford’s Consortium Novum, as well as Pro/Contra for solo piano, composed for the pianist Matthew Schellhorn. Marco’s recent works have been performed by CHROMA, as well as a number of solo instrumentalists. In 2016 his first Chamber Opera, Rothschild's Violin, was performed by New Chamber Opera, leading David Threasher from Gramophone to describe Marco as ‘a compositional voice of genuine promise’.
Dame Janet Baker CH DBE, legendary mezzo-soprano: awarded RPS Honorary Membership in 1987 and the RPS Gold Medal in 1990
DID YOU KNOW?
From 1819 the Society’s home was the Harmonic Institution built by John Nash in Regents Street. The building was destroyed by fire in 1830 and is now the site of a NatWest Bank.