Supported by the Incorporated Society of Musicians
For the outstanding quality and scope of the performances and work in any context of a solo performer on any instrument in the UK.
‘A remarkable viola player and outstanding advocate for his instrument. He’s forever fostering new repertoire that’s set to last – from James MacMillan’s vibrant Concerto to a series of commissions captivatingly filmed in lockdown.’
You can see the moment this award was announced as part of the full RPS Awards Presentation, broadcast online on Wednesday 18 November 2020.
This year's shortlist for Instrumentalist was decided by an independent panel drawn from across the music profession comprising:
- Alan Davey, Controller, BBC Radio 3
- Duncan Ward, conductor / composer
- Fiona Maddocks, writer / critic, The Observer
- Leon Bosch, former Principal Double Bass, Academy of St Martin in the Fields
- Sarah Burnett, Principal Bassoon, Britten Sinfonia