For a compelling and imaginative entity which furthered the understanding of classical music in a lateral medium - most likely but not limited to written or spoken word, radio, television, film, digital, online. Nominated entities must have been made publicly available in the UK for the first time between January 2018 and June 2019.
- Debussy: A Painter in Sound - Stephen Walsh
- Janet Baker: In Her Own Words - John Bridcut / BBC4
- Michael Tippett: The Biography - Oliver Soden
This year's shortlist for Storytelling was decided by an independent panel drawn from across the music profession comprising:
- Katy Hamilton, writer and presenter
- Marion Friend, consultant
- Simon Millward, Director, Premier Communications
- Stephanie Childress, violinist, conductor
- Tim Lihoreau, presenter and Creative Director, Classic FM
This year, we present this award in memory of Arthur Searle who was Honorary Librarian of the RPS from 1983 to 2019. In this role, he did much to tell the story of the RPS and ensured a lasting home for its treasures at the British Library.